Accessibility and Event Tips
The Detroit Zoological Society is committed to accommodating guests with various abilities and diverse backgrounds. We want to do what we can to ensure an enjoyable experience for all. Below are a few tips to help you prepare for your Wild Lights experience.
- Drop-off and Pick-up: If a member of your party has mobility limitations, there is a drop-off and pick-up up area in front of the main admission gates. Please follow the signs.
- Wheelchairs and Electric Convenience Vehicles (ECVs): We recommend guests bring their own wheelchairs and electric scooters. A limited number of wheelchairs and electric scooters are available for rent at the Chrysler Main Train Station while quantities last. Wheelchairs are $10, and ECVs are $28.
- Please come dressed for the weather. Wild Lights is held in rain, snow or shine.
- The Wild Lights trail is a one-mile loop around the front half of the Detroit Zoo. Access will be limited to specific pathways. The Wild Lights trail is paved, but please be mindful of those around you and watch your step.
- There is the possibility of rain, snow and/or ice on pathways.
- Printed maps will not be available. Please download/view the event map below.
Wagons, Strollers, Segways and Bicycles
- Guests are welcome to bring their own wagons and strollers.
- Single and double strollers, wagons, wheelchairs and ECVs are available for rent at the Main Train Station (near the front of the park) and at the Africa Train Station (in the far corner of the park when the train is operating). [ Convenience Rental Pricing ]
- Segways, bicycles and other self-propelled vehicles are not permitted at the Detroit Zoo.
Wild Lights contains projection, bright lights, interaction with light and sound, and light with movement. You may want to consider bringing these items to support a sensory-friendly experience:
- Noise-reducing headphones or ear plugs
- Fidget tools
- Weighted lap pad
- Limited sensory kits are also available at customer care located at main admissions.
- A quiet zone is available to all guests inside the Ford Education Center.
- All restrooms at the Detroit Zoo are equipped with an accessible stall and baby changing stations.
- Family restrooms and our Lactation Station nursing station will be accessible for the entire event.