Accessibility and Event Tips
Wild Lights is truly a beautiful sight to behold, and we want to do what we can to ensure an enjoyable experience for all. Below are a few tips to help you prepare for your Wild Lights experience.
- Please come dressed for the weather and don’t forget your warm footwear. Wild Lights is held in rain, snow or shine.
- Even though the event is primarily outdoors, masks are required in all indoor locations including restrooms, restaurants, gifts shops and the Ford Education Center. Please maintain 6’ distancing or more from other groups to help avoid crowding.
- Access will be limited to specific pathways in the Zoo. The Wild Lights trail is paved but please be mindful of those around you and watch your step.
- There is the possibility of rain, snow and/or ice on pathways.
- The Wild Lights trail is one mile loop around the front half of the Detroit Zoo.
- Printed maps will not be available. Please download/view the event map below.
Wagons, Strollers, Segways and Bicycles
- Guests are welcome to bring their own wagons and strollers. However, these items will not be available for rent.
- Segways, bicycles, and other self-propelled vehicles are not permitted at the Detroit Zoo.
- Drop-off and Pick-up: If a member of your party has mobility limitations, there is a drop-off and pick-up up area in front of the main admission gates. Please follow the signs.
- Wheelchairs and Electric Convenience Vehicles (ECV’s): We recommend that guests bring their own wheelchairs and electric scooters. A limited number of wheelchairs and electric scooters are available for rent at the Chrysler Main Train Station while quantities last. Wheelchairs are $10 and ECV’s are $28.
The Detroit Zoological Society is committed to accommodating individuals with diverse needs and learning abilities. We have a strong desire to be autism- and special needs-friendly, and hope all families have an enjoyable experience!
- Sensory Support: Wild Lights contains projection, bright lights, interaction with light and sound, and light with movement. You may want to consider bringing these items to support a sensory-friendly experience:
- Noise-reducing headphones or ear plugs
- Fidget tools
- Weighted lap pad
- Please download/view our sensory-friendly map of the Wild Lights trail.
- A quiet zone is available to all guests inside the Ford Education Center.
- All restrooms at the Detroit Zoo are equipped with an accessible stall and baby changing stations.
- Family restrooms, identified on the (digital) map, will be accessible for the entire event.