Accessibility and Event Tips
Wild Lights is truly a beautiful sight to behold, and we want to do what we can to ensure an enjoyable experience for all. Below are a few tips to help you prepare for your Wild Lights experience.
- Please come dressed for the weather and don’t forget your warm footwear. Wild Lights is held in rain, snow or shine.
- Even though the event is entirely outdoors, masks are required and we ask that you maintain 6’ distancing or more from other groups to help avoid crowding.
- Access will be limited to specific pathways in the Zoo. The Wild Lights trail is paved but please be mindful of those around you and watch your step.
- There is the possibility of rain, snow and/or ice on pathways.
- The Wild Lights trail is one mile loop around the front half of the Detroit Zoo.
- Printed maps will not be available. Please download/view the event map below.
Wagons, Strollers, Segways and Bicycles
- Guests are welcome to bring their own wagons and strollers. However, these items will not be available for rent.
- Segways, bicycles, and other self-propelled vehicles are not permitted at the Detroit Zoo.
- Drop-off and Pick-up: If a member of your party has mobility limitations, there is a drop-off and pick-up up area in front of the main admission gates. Please follow the signs.
- Wheelchairs and Electric Convenience Vehicles (ECV’s): We recommend that guests bring their own wheelchairs and electric scooters. A limited number of wheelchairs and electric scooters are available for rent at the Chrysler Main Train Station while quantities last. Wheelchairs are $10 and ECV’s are $28.
The Detroit Zoological Society is committed to accommodating individuals with diverse backgrounds and learning abilities. We have a strong desire to be autism- and special needs-friendly, and hope all families have an enjoyable experience!
- Sensory Support: Wild Lights contains projection, bright lights, interaction with light and sound, and light with movement. You may want to consider bringing these items to support a sensory-friendly experience:
- Noise-reducing headphones or ear plugs
- Fidget tools
- Weighted lap pad
- Please download/view our sensory-friendly map of the Wild Lights trail.